Sunday, May 29, 2011

Caleb's Reads: My Many Colored Days

We got this book as a gift from Caleb's Tita Lexi.  It talks about how days have colors and how each color corresponds with a feeling.  It teaches kids how it's ok to FEEL, and that no matter how many different feelings you experience, no matter how angry or sad or happy or lazy you are...you're still YOU.


"My Many Colored Days" takes the reader safely and painlessly through several transformations of colorful and wonderfully illustrated spreads.  The writing is lyrical and rhyming. It piques the reader's creativity as it encourages the reader to become a red horse, or a yellow bee, or a gray owl, or a brown bear in order to express the feeling of each color.  There's even one spread where the reader becomes all the colors together in a happy confusion of feelings. 

I've often wondered how I will teach Caleb to deal with anger or fear.  Right now, at 9 months he's just happy most of the time and when he wants something and doesn't get it fast enough he cries.  It's easy to anticipate his needs and read his cues.  However, I know separation anxiety will start soon.  Pretty soon he will know those feelings of anger and fear.  Why is Mommy leaving again?  Will Mommy come back?  How do I re-assure him that Mommy needs to leave for work but every night she comes back again.  "My Many Colored Days" is a book both of us enjoy and it helps me, subliminally, communicate to him that feelings of anger and fear are just part of growing up.


No comments:

Post a Comment